Friday, February 20, 2009

A day in the country with fine photographer friends......











Last week on a very blustery day I traveled south of the city on a mission to set up two beautiful tables amidst the natural surroundings. These hundreds of acres of untouched and pristine country side have been named "the compound" by its wonderful owners. The Mellow Mushroom family, who are dear dear friends extended the opportunity to spend the day on their farm and create tables that were placed in a large Field just down the hill from their home. 
Spending the day in the open air was exactly what I needed to clear my head and create what I think turned out to be nothing shy of beautiful. Despite the outrageous winds that whipped me as well as the flowers and decor. Zinnia put together what I feel was a successful endeavor. Even my little friend Lalu enjoyed my work. But I think she enjoyed the wide open spaces more.
I only put together two tables in this photo shoot due to the overpowering winds. One table was set amongst a back drop of towering Bamboo. The bamboo was plentiful and strong. It was seasonally yellowing a bit, which I thought lent some interesting contrast. The table as well the chairs were all contrast and gave forth a striking glow of white. On the table, hues of red, black and green were used  to create a very striking palette. I built a grid with small thin bamboo and flax leaves to add more complexity. Center stage I placed a monumental floral piece that consisted of many layers of moss covered branches and mangled sago fronds. Amongst this mangled grid I added color with bright tropicals. All placed atop an over sized clear glass cylinder. Wow, I love it.
The second table was a slightly more traditional. White distressed table, White modern chairs, Fine bone china and layers of white containers filled to the brim with many varieties of spring floral offerings. Very simple but full of life. The back drop for this table was beautiful. Just rolling heels big blue sky and a huge red barn. I wanted to sit and have a fabulous farm style dinner with my friends Laura and Renee who spent the afternoon with me capturing all this beauty. But the day was fading to night and the air was becoming chilly. I had to wrap it up.  
Thanks to Art Star photography by Laura Stone and Renee Brock photography for your insightful vision and overwhelming talent. You ladies made my vision a reality. Cheers. 

1 comment:

  1. Rory, thanks for this great post, we are only too happy to spend the day with you! Truly beautiful and unique work, keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete